These are the entries for the Paddlesport Product of the Year Awards 2019 in the Inflatable category. These awards are organized every year at the occasion of PADDLEexpo. Note that, a product could win the prize although not listed here, if the judges discover once at the show, that a product worth winning was not entered; entering ahead of the show simply guarantees a product to be taken into account by the judges.
GUMOTEX – RUSH
Last year we introduced THAYA, a revolutionary novelty in the field of inflatable boats. This kayak was not only another boat in our portfolio, but it also launched a new era of rubber-textile boats using drop-stitch technology. And thanks to this connection, our next boat, RUSH, has been created, which is one step further in development and brings interesting changes.
In addition to a significant change in colour, this versatile kayak of innovative design further develops drop-stitch technology capabilities. The main innovations are the hydro-dynamically shaped bow and the creation of a keel. Kayak has a wide range of applications. It is suitable for recreation, boat wandering, calm lake levels, cruising along the seashore, as well as navigating rivers up to WW2. For better comfort in poor weather conditions, it can be equipped with a rudder or a removable cockpit (recommended accessories). The main advantages of the kayak are versatility, speed and stability.
The kayak in the RUSH 2 version can be used in both single and two-seat versions thanks to variable seating.
15 REASONS WHY FOR RUSH
– Patented material: Combination of drop-stitch textile and rubber is absolutely unique in the world.
– Easy pack-up: The new material is more flexible and can be packed-up easily into smaller dimensions in comparison with the PVC based products (see point 4.).
– Easy repairability: Particular parts of the kayak can be easily and quickly replaced. Even a hole in drop-stitch bottom can be patched by repair kit (supplied with the kayak).
– Resistance/durability: Ensured by many different layers (see point 5.)
– Excellent driving performance: Thanks to hydro-dynamically shaped bow and special keel, RUSH achieves excellent driving characteristics.
– Multifunctionality: RUSH kayak is suitable for recreation, boat wandering, calm lake levels, cruising along the seashore, as well as navigating rivers up to WW2. For better comfort in poor weather conditions, it can be equipped with a rudder or a removable cockpit (recommended accessories).
– Solidity: More toughness, less torsion.
– Safety: 3 main air chambers (sidewall cylinders and drop-stitch bottom) + 1/2 air chambers (footrests).
– Tradition and experience: Company GUMOTEX has been designing, manufacturing and paddling inflatable boats for over 60 years.
– EU production: GUMOTEX production plant is located in central Europe (Breclav/Czech Republic).
– Comprehensive service: Warranty and after-warranty service for all boats throughout their entire service life. Spare parts availability even for discontinued models.
– Quality: Under one roof, both, boat material manufacturing and the final assembly take place. Production of its own materials gives the ultimate quality control throughout the production process.
– Ecology: GUMOTEX inflatable boats are made with respect to the environment. Our boats are not made of PVC.
GRABENER – HYPE
Foldable and easily transportable modern short kayak. Closed design for comfortable dry seating. Same robust boat-skin as large rafting boats and highest operating pressure.
Range of application: from recreational paddlers in rivers to class IV white water paddlers.
– Same form and shape as a creeker
– 3 air chambers
– Deck with 2 aluminium cross-bars
– Coaming for spraycover
– Adjustable footrests
– Length-adjustable and inclinable seat with backrest
– 2 safety thigh belts, optimal foot contact
– 2 carry handles on the outside, throw-bag D-ring
Transport and storage only 70 x 30 x 15 cm. Packed in a backpack, no bulky big body.
The only White-water short kayak mad of stable, long lasting car tire rubber.
Suitable for rivers till white-water category 4.
Excellent shape, designed from experienced professional paddler from Augsburger Eiskanal.
With 3 airchambers much safer than a hard shell kayak.
The most environment friendly and sustainable inflatable boat in this category.
Key factor 100 % eco friendly process
- Maximal environment friendly
– Real rubber instead of plastic
– Renewable rubber
– Unsurpassed service life
– Repair instead of throwing away
– 0 % PVC / 0 % plasticizers / 0 % chlorine
– 100 % recyclable
– Made in the EU (boat skin = Germany, boat production = Austria)
- Advantage for Environment
– no waste of resources
– no dioxin, no hazardous waste
– 100% recyclable
– no increase in the mountains of rubbish, no marine pollution
– Use longer, instead of buying again and again
- Advantage for owners
– extremely durable
– repair instead of throwing away
– longest service life
– 1 boat instead of several cheap boats
KOKOPELLI – XPD
Legendary expeditions require the most durable, minimal, and mission-ready packraft ever. The new XPD pushes the boundaries on an expedition boat to meet the rigors of professional use. Constructed with 0.9mm Reinforced PVC and designed on our award- winning Rogue-lite platform with input from Special Operations teams, Search and Rescue, and Rental Outfitters, the XPD takes performance to a new level. The high pressure design improves on water performance, giving it the maneuverability of a kayak, stability, and rigidity of a raft. Maintaining the versatility and portability of traditional packrafts, the XPD packs down to the size of a large sleeping-bag.
JP – SUP ALLROUNDAIR SE 3DS 2020
The AllroundAir was created to cover the widest range of average paddlerís needs: from absolute beginners to those taking first white water runs; from beginner surfers to yoga enthusiasts. A narrower nose allows for minimal push of the water in the front, resulting in a faster glide with each paddle stroke. The parallel outline ensures great traction and less paddle-hand changes. This also brings another advantage – a wider tail that significantly improves stability of the board. Its Tail Rail Edge enhances the performance of the board by allowing a quick water release.
This product features the 3D Stringer, which connects the deck, rail and bottom into one stiffening U-beam. This has increased the stiffness of the board up to 30%. Furthermore, the 3D Stringer increases the safety of the board against leaking as it increases the glued overlap surface in the high stress standing area.
The Superior Edition 3DS boards feature the Welded Seam Technology to increase the durability and air tightness of our inflatable boards. The connection between the rail and the drop stitch material is hot air welded thus creating a very strong mechanical joint that turns these two parts into one. The plasticizers in PVC migrate over time and weaken the strength of the chemical bond of the glue. By fusing two different layers together into one part, the welding process makes the board safer and more durable.
STARBOARD – TOURING 12.6 DELUXE DC
The combo of Woven, Fusion, Welded and with double chambers: the stiffest, most durable board on show ! And each touring bard produced is helping retrieving 1.4 kg of beach trash while absorbing 1 Ton of CO2 because Starboard plants 1 mangrove per board.
The Tiki pump, with its amazing easy pump cycles, ergonomically shaped handles and removable large foot made by recycled fishing nets, in combo with hose that is fixed on the body part .
A wonderful super light carry bag with 450 D rip stop cloth made out of recycled bottles.
Ending it with a super strong fin box made from upcycled fishing nets.
Shoulder Carry straps that doubles as paddle holders.
Patented Magnetic bottle holder
NORTIK – SCUBI 2 XL
The nortik scubi 2 XL marks a new era in the field of nortik hybrid technology and is by far the most versatile boat in the entire scubi family: fast assembly, excellent performance and as variable as never before! The scubi 2 XL impressively combines the advantages of inflatable boats with those of folding boats: It scores points for the excellent directional stability and its easy and fast assembly, with an aluminium frame structure reduced to the minimum and 4 individual high-pressure air tubes. (0,3 bar /4,35 psi). Based on the system of the nortik scubi 1 XL, the two-person version offers maximum flexibility when it comes to the type of use: With a variably insertable seat, it opens up completely new possibilities. It can of course be paddled by two people, but it can also be used with a toddler looking towards the rear. A larger child, who wants to paddle along, can take a seat in the direction of travel. An ideal solo position is also possible. With the a lot of other useful accessories you can adapt the scubi 2 XL to your needs: The patented two-part drop-stitch inserts gives your scubi 2 XL a stiff and firm ground without losing its defined keel structure and excellent directional stability. No comparison to the drop-stitch boats available on the market with their flat hull shape! The legally protected foam padded keel system together with the already installed keel strip protects even more against damage and abrasion. With the easy to attach Velcro deck (solo or double) and two different types of breathable spray skirts and/or seasocks, the open boat can be transformed into a sea-proof kayak in seconds, with which you can face any wave and any weather. The extra high backrest turns the hanging chair into a comfortable seat for longer, back-friendly cruises or for tall people. Another highlight is the proven nortik kayak sail, available in two different sizes. Weighing less than a kilo, it is light as a feather and “in action” with a flick of the wrist (and as easily put down again). A clever system that provides really effective forward speed and is therefore very popular. The easy to install steering system helps with crosswind, in solo operation or in combination with the nortik kayak sail for easy and trouble-free navigation. All this and even more accessories can easily be stowed away in the transport backpack that comes with boat, as well as the double action hand pump with manometer. With its launch in 2019, it was one of the best-selling portable boats within the season, as can be seen in the outstanding reviews and test results in KANU and Kajak-Magazin. The nortik scubi 2 XL is the kayak that is always just the way you need it!
Choose between many combinations and possibilities to make it your own!
NRS – VIPER XL
The new Viper XL adds an extra 12″ of length to the original STAR Viper to give taller paddlers more room for running rapids. Inflatable displacement chambers, a high-pressure floor, extra rocker, and performance thigh straps provide a fun and exciting whitewater experience.
NSP – HIT CRUISER
It’s our all new construction focusing on extremely high durability, but at a highly attractive price. We’ve seen strong demand from for early deliveries for resorts, rentals and schools, but the board is also ideal for a personal use. The exterior is wrapped in a super tough “bullet skin” and a reinforced rail band to absorb all paddle damage and scrapes – with many paddle scuffs easily wiped off. Equipped with a full deck thermoformed EVA pad, bungee cord and locking hole on the nose to easily tie off while not in use. The best option for those in the market for a great return on investment!